The Topic Search Strategy paper is the first of three related assignments. The purpose of this initial paper is to briefly describe your search strategies when identifying two articles that pertain to an evidence-based practice topic of interest.
1) Students will be placed into groups by the end of the second week of the session. The groups will work together to
select a practice problem of interest as the focus for the three RUA assignments in this course. The practice topic of interest will also be used to complete week 3 and week 5 independent student assignments, as well as a group PowerPoint presentation in week 7.
a. Individuals will complete this assignment independently for weeks 3 and 5.
b. Teams must assure that members do not use the same articles when completing this assignment.
c. Please make sure you do not duplicate articles within your group.
d. Paper should be 3-4 content pages in length. Title and reference pages are required but are excluded from 3-4
2) The paper will include the following sections:
a. Clinical Question (45 points/28%)
• Describe the problem. What is the focus of your group’s work?
• Explain the significance of the problem in terms of patient outcomes. What health outcomes result from
your problem? Or what statistics document this is a problem? You may find support on websites for
government or professional organizations.
• PICOT question in support of the group topic.
• State the purpose of your paper. What will your paper do or describe? This is similar to a problem
statement. “The purpose of this paper is to . . .”
b. Levels of Evidence (20 points/13%)
• Identify the type of question being asked (therapy, prognosis, meaning, etc.).
• What is the best type of evidence to answer that question (e.g., RCT, cohort study, qualitative study, etc.)?
c. Search Strategy (65 points/41%)
• List search terms and results.
• Databases used (start with the CU library). Link your search with the PICOT question described above.
• Refinement decisions. As you did your search, what decisions did you make in refinement to get your
required articles down to a reasonable number for review? Were any limits used? If so, what?
• Identification of two (2) most relevant articles (primary sources published within the last 5 years).
d. Format (30 points/18%)
• Correct grammar and spelling.
• Include a title page.
• Use of headings for each section.
▪ Clinical Question, Levels of Evidence, Search Strategy, and Conclusion
• Adheres to current APA formatting and guidelines.