Assignment: Mental Health Issues
- General Information 10% (organization and presentation)
- In this paper the student will demonstrate his/her ability to correlate mental health concepts into his/her nursing practice.
- This report is to be a scholarly paper. Points may be deducted for errors in grammar, punctuation, typing and spelling as well as lack of documentation of sources. Non-scholarly papers will be returned.
- A minimum of two resources is required. (CDC, Healthy People 2020, Institute of Medicine& Surgeon General Reports)
- Documentation must follow the appropriate style and format as indicated in the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association (6th Edition). (see sample in SAKAI) Assignment: Mental Health Issues
- The paper should range from 6-7 typewritten pages.
- Specific Information (90%)
- Identify the target group
- Conduct a literature review
- Specify risk factors
- Identify the most important mental health issues for this target population
- Interview health care team members to assess appropriateness of content and determine priorities.
- Identify the goals of the teaching activity.
- Determine specific plans such as timing of program, length, intervention modes to be used, evaluation/feedback tools and responsibility for specific content.
- Design a method to evaluate the impact of your teaching project. Evaluation methods may include written feedback, verbal feedback and/or pre-post test.
Paper Organization and Presentation (10 points)
APA Style: Format guidelines followed; Abstract, References cited appropriately and adequately
Compositional Syntax and Level of Discourse: Ideas presented in an organized, logical, and cohesive manner; Level of discourse exhibits scholarly dialogue; at least 6-7 pages
Target Group Learning Needs Assessment (33 points)
Literature Review: Identifies and discusses physical and mental health problems and risk factors for target group; Includes current CDC epidemiology data; Target group learning needs are prioritized (2-3 pages)
Mental Health Issues: Identifies the most important mental health issues and content for this target population and discusses the information from the interviews.
Staff and Participant Input: Involves learner, members of healthcare, and/ or educational team as sources of information; Input acquired and reported
Resources: Organizational and informational resources available locally, regionally, and nationally for the target group are reportedGrammar, Punctuation, Spelling: Requires minimal to no correction
References: At least 2 scholarly (professional/ academic journal) references cited
Teaching Activity Plan (33 points)
Purpose: Purpose and overall goal of teaching activity clearly stated (1-3 sentences) Assignment: Mental Health Issues
Learning Outcomes: Meaningful, clear, and realistic learner-centered outcomes identified for applicable cognitive, affective, and psychomotor domains of learning (3-4 bulleted outcomes)
Content: Teaching content outlined; Not overly broad or too narrow in scope of coverage; Guided by and relevant to the learning outcomes
Plan and Strategies: Describes how teaching plan and strategy is tailored to participants’ physical, cognitive, and psychosocial needs; Correlates with learning outcomes; Setting/ Environment described; Time estimated/ allotted for teaching of outcomes stated; Instructional resources and materials to be used are identified and supported with collaborative input and/ or literature evidence; Anticipated teaching obstacles are addressed and contingency plans formulated; Applies professional and consumer needs input
Teaching Activity Evaluation (24 points)
Evaluation Method and/ or Tool: Designed and administered to evaluate effectiveness of teaching activity; Evaluation strategy is appropriate for learning outcomes; Rationale for chosen method discussed and supported; Example of written tool, if used, is included.
Outcome Evaluation: Using evaluation method chosen, evidence of learning is provided; Each learning outcome is revisited and analyzed as successfully met or not met
Process Evaluation: Utilizing participant feedback, healthcare team feedback, and self-evaluation, presenter(s) discuss(es) what went well and what would have been done differently in the future to improve the teaching activity; Reasons for unmet outcomes stated; Recommendations for future teaching on topic and/or for target group discussed Assignment: Mental Health Issues