NURS 6052 EBP week 3 assignment – Clinical Inquiry & Research Methodologies
NURS 6052 EBP week 3 Assignment: Evidence-Based Project
Is there a difference between “common practice” and “best practice”?
When you first went to work for your current organization, experienced colleagues may have shared with you details about processes and procedures. Perhaps you even attended an orientation session to brief you on these matters. As a “rookie,” you likely kept the nature of your questions to those with answers that would best help you perform your new role.
Over time and with experience, perhaps you recognized aspects of these processes and procedures that you wanted to question further. This is the realm of clinical inquiry. NURS 6052 EBP week 3 assignment – Clinical Inquiry & Research Methodologies.
Clinical inquiry is the practice of asking questions about clinical practice. To continuously improve patient care, all nurses should consistently use clinical inquiry to question why they are doing something the way they are doing it. Do they know why it is done this way, or is it just because we have always done it this way? Is it common practice or a best practice?
In this Assignment, you will identify clinical areas of interest and inquiry and practice searching for research in support of maintaining or changing these practices. You will also analyze this research to compare the research methodologies employed. NURS 6052 EBP week 3 assignment – Clinical Inquiry & Research Methodologies.
- Review the Resources and identify a clinical issue of interest that can form the basis of a clinical inquiry.
- Based on the clinical issue of interest and using keywords related to the clinical issue of interest, search at least four different databases in the Walden Library to identify at least four relevant peer-reviewed articles related to your clinical issue of interest.
- Review the results of your peer-reviewed research and reflect on the process of using an unfiltered database to search for peer-reviewed research.
- Reflect on the types of research methodologies contained in the four relevant peer-reviewed articles you selected.
Part 1: An Introduction to Clinical Inquiry
Create a 4- to 5-slide PowerPoint presentation in which you do the following:
- Identify and briefly describe your chosen clinical issue of interest.
- Describe how you used keywords to search for your chosen clinical issue of interest.
- Identify the four research databases that you used to conduct your search for the peer-reviewed articles you selected.
- Provide APA citations of the four peer-reviewed articles you selected.
Part 2: Identifying Research Methodologies
After reading each of the four peer-reviewed articles you selected, use the Matrix Worksheet template to analyze the methodologies applied in each of the four peer-reviewed articles. Your analysis should include the following:
- The full citation of each peer-reviewed article in APA format.
- A brief (1-paragraph) statement explaining why you chose this peer-reviewed article and/or how it relates to your clinical issue of interest, including a brief explanation of the ethics of research related to your clinical issue of interest.
- A brief (1-2 paragraph) description of the aims of the research of each peer-reviewed article.
- A brief (1-2 paragraph) description of the research methodology used. Be sure to identify if the methodology used was a qualitative, quantitative, or mixed-methods approach. Be specific.
- A brief (1- to 2-paragraph) description of the strengths of each of the research methodologies used, including reliability and validity of how the methodology was applied in each of the peer-reviewed articles you selected. NURS 6052 EBP week 3 assignment – Clinical Inquiry & Research Methodologies.
Halm, M., & Sandau, K. (2018). Skin Impact of Alcohol-Based Hand Rubs Vs Handwashing. American Journal of Critical Care, 27(4), 334–337. https://doi-org.ezp.waldenulibrary.org/10.4037/ajcc2018727
Munoz-Figueroa, G. P., & Ojo, O. (2018). The effectiveness of alcohol-based gel for hand sanitizing in infection control. British Journal of Nursing, 27(7), 382–388.
Lim, K., Kilpatrick, C., Storr, J., & Seale, H. (2018). Exploring the use of entertainment-education YouTube videos focused on infection prevention and control. American Journal of Infection Control, 46(11), 1218–1223. NURS 6052 EBP week 3 assignment – Clinical Inquiry & Research Methodologies.
Grayson, M. L., Stewardson, A. J., Russo, P. L., Ryan, K. E., Olsen, K. L., Havers, S. M., … Cruickshank, M. (2018). Effects of the Australian National Hand Hygiene Initiative after 8 years on infection control practices, health-care worker education, and clinical outcomes: a longitudinal study. Lancet Infectious Diseases, 18(11), 1269–1277
Loftus, R. W., Dexter, F., & Robinson, A. D. M. (2018). High-risk Staphylococcus aureus transmission in the operating room: A call for widespread improvements in perioperative hand hygiene and patient decolonization practices. American Journal of Infection Control, 46(10), 1134–1141. https://doi-org.ezp.waldenulibrary.org/10.1016/j.ajic.2018.04.211
Also check: NRNP 6675 WK3 Assignment 2: Study Plan