Politics And Government Assignment
Subsystem: Politics & Government
· Review the following resources:
· Course textbook and/or other assigned readings
· Review social determinants of health
· Meet with Mayor Hill to get some information about city politics
· Enter Sentinel City® (SC) and begin the bus tour.
· As you tour your selected community, note signs that indicate political activity and community involvement in government at the local level or the lack thereof. Compare your selected SC community to SC in general.
· What did you observe that has a negative influence on the health of this community, which can be addressed by additions or changes in local government policies? Politics And Government Assignment
· Using an evidence-based approach, develop two policy recommendations to present to the mayor.
· For questions, contact your instructor.
· Identify signs of political involvement in a community
· Identify conditions in a community that can have a negative influence on health
· Describe the health impact of negative characteristics of a community that can be improved by political advocacy
· Create policy recommendations that address a social determinant of health
· Use current literature and data to provide rationale for policy recommendations Politics And Government Assignment
Subsystem: Politics & Government
Local politics and government policies impact conditions that influence the health status of people. For this assignment, identify two conditions you observed that can have a negative influence on health, which can be addressed by the local government. Develop two policy recommendations to present to Mayor Hill that address conditions you identified that can negatively affect the overall health of a community.
|Indications of political involvement||Observed:||Not observed:|
|Identify two observations in the city that can have a negative influence on the health of a community||#1||#2|
|Related social determinant(s) health
|Population most likely impacted
|Evidence based rationale with statistical data. Citations and a reference page are required
Negative condition substandard and lack of affordable housing in neighborhoods with larger percentage of low-income families and minority populations.
Social determinant of health: (identify)
Housing Policy Recommendation: Improve access to affordable housing by providing sliding scale housing units for minority populations and low-income persons and families.
Population most likely impacted: Hispanics, African- Americans, as well as the homeless population in Sentinel City®.
Evidence-based rationale: According to the U.S. Census Bureau 2015 Household survey, 20% of African-Americans and 41% of Hispanics live in households below 200 percent of the federal poverty level, compared with 8% of whites.
Note: this is not actual data, but hypothetical data for the purpose of providing an example for this assignment.
Cite your resources and list them in the reference list.
AACN Public Health Essentials
This assignment addresses the following AACN Public Health Essentials:
· Essential II: Basic Organizational and Systems Leadership for Quality Care and Patient Safety
· Apply systems theory to PHN practice with individuals, families, and groups.
· Essential III: Essential III: Scholarship for Evidence-Based Practice
· Use epidemiologic data and the ecological perspective to identify health risks for a population.
· Essential V: Healthcare Policy, Finance, and Regulatory Environments
· Identify public health policies, laws and regulations relevant to PHN practice. Identify the impact of the system on individuals, families, and groups.
· Essential VII: Clinical Prevention and Population Health for Optimizing Health
· Practice evidence-based public health nursing to promote the health of individuals, families, and groups.
· Essential IX: Baccalaureate Generalist Nursing Practice
· Use basic descriptive epidemiological methods when conducting a health assessment for individuals, families, and groups Politics And Government Assignment.