Specific Symptoms of Acute Stress Disorder
1) A few weeks after 9/11, a disaster mental health clinician believes she has a patient who is
experiencing either "Acute Stress Disorder" or "Post-traumatic Stress Disorder". a. What criteria
should the clinician use to determine which disorder the patient has (in other words, what are the
diagnostic markers for each)? Specific Symptoms of Acute Stress Disorder
b. Which disorder do you believe the patient has? Note: You don't
have to be a mental health clinician to answer here–your task here is to apply what you learned
in the course–so no need to state that you aren't qualified to diagnose. You must select ONLY
ONE diagnosis, either ASD or PTSD, to receive points for this question.
2) From what you have now learned about Terror Management Theory (TMT), what do you believe
the officials (at every level) could have done differently to better manage the Katrina disaster had
they understood TMT? Be specific here and cite your sources.
3) Describe the differences in the pharmacological (medication) approach to PTSD treatment and
the cognitive-behavioral approach.
4) You have been tasked with developing a two-day workshop focusing on the psychology of
disaster. The workshop is part of a larger several day conference. Other workshops occurring
during the conference will cover disaster preparedness and planning, so those topics won't be
part of your two days. Identify four CRITICAL topics that you would include during your workshop
Critical means you consider a topic a very high priority, something that is absolutely
essential for attendees to know about. Each session is to be an hour long. Below list the 4 topics
you would include in the workshop and, for each one, explain why you selected it (Note: You
must restrict your answer to only four topics-including more will void your answer)
5) Describe the primary psychological needs of children following a major disaster.
6) Use one of the theories discussed in the course to describe psychological risks faced by service
providers (initial responders, EMTs, rescuers, firefighters, police, on-site mental health clinicians,
etc.) in the event of a major disaster.
7) Which area of the study of the psychology of disaster do you think needs more attention these
days in order to effectively deal with contemporary disasters? Why? NOTE: You must link your
answers to course materials here, rather than just giving a brief statement of opinion Specific Symptoms of Acute Stress Disorder
Also check: HealthCare Administration Discussion